Re: Ext3 as root filesystem?

Hi Andy,

> Having the following generated into /etc/fstab (on both the initrd and root
> filesystems, just in case):
>
> /dev/nd0          /       ext3   defaults
> none                    /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
>
> gets me the following from the /etc/rc.sysinit
>
> Setting hostname localhost:     [OK}
> Checking root filesystem
> /dev/nd0 is mounted.  e2fsck: Cannot continue, aborting.
>                                       [FAILED]
> then it drops to a repair shell.

 How did you create the initrd? Note that /initrd usually is just the
directory where /boot/initrd-<version> (which is a gzipped file system)
gets mounted. Are you building an initrd in this directory?

 Looking at the above messages it seems your problem is that / gets mounted
rw, which is why fsck can't check the file system. You need to mount it ro
on boot, so fsck can check it (or actually just establish it is an ext3
file system and skip that step), and remount it rw.

Bye,
Leonard.