Re: Should you be worried about upgrading to FC1 [was various other threads]

> Message: 31
> From: Stephan Matthiesen <stephan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> To: fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: Should you be worried about upgrading to FC1 [was various other threads]
> Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 19:28:07 +0000

> > My only caution, if you upgrade instead of doing a clean install, list
> > your RPMs chronologically by installtime and make sure you address any
> > stale RPMs by removing or manually upgrading as appropriate. A useful
> > command is:
> >
> >   rpm -qa --qf "${INSTALLTIME} %{NAME} %{VERSION} %{RELEASE}\n" \
> >   | sort -r
>
> Should be %{INSTALLTIME} instead of ${INSTALLTIME}
>
> Thanks for this tip. How come that some RPMS are not updated?

A few reasons I know of:

1) if rh9 and fc1 both have foo-1.2-3 installed, there will be no
update, even though the fc1 rpms will have been compiled with the new
compiler. (RH may bump the releases to prevent this from happening, but
I have not looked to verify that it was done for all cases

2) You may have built an RPM to get a new feature.

3) You may have installed a perl module that was not in rh9 (via
cpan2rpm or cpanflute) that is now part of fc1.

4) The rpm in question may just be obsolete and 'orphaned'

Not all these may apply to you, and there may be others. That's just off
the top of my head.

--
Karl DeBisschop <kdebisschop@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Pearson Education/Information Please