RE: printing to a network printer - follow up

>I'm sure you've already tried this, but what do you see if you point
>your browser to the ip address of the printer (at work)?

That's a very good question... the JetDirect card is a J2550B with a telnet
server in it, but as I recall there's no web server in it.
I did not check in the past few days while I've been trying to get Linux to
use it, I've got a case of "tunnel vision" thinking it's something wrong on
the Linux box since the printer works fine from a Windows machine.

Thanks for the tip... I'll check it out when I'm in the office again next
week...

>Is the printer on the same subnet as your linux box?

Yes.

Here's the basic topology:
     Windows-----small netgear hub/switch--------smc/other
switch-----JetDirect card (HPLaserJet 5Si)
     (10.10.10.50)  ^
(10.10.10.133)

     (10.10.10.72)

The windows pc can print using a "local" tcp/ip connection
Linux shows a test page as "printed", no errors in the logs, and "something"
happens, because a page with a single line across the top is printed.