Re: Compact Flash Issue

On Fri, 2003-12-05 at 08:04, Will Backman wrote:
> Tried to read a 128MB compact flash from a camera.  Using Sandisk USB
> reader.
> Things seemed to work as they should.  /mnt/flash was created for me,
> but /var/log/messages said that the the device did not have a
> recognizable file system.
>
> (I hate to say this...but Win2k picked it up just fine, so I know the CF
> Card is ok.)
>
> Anyone else tried CF cards and USB readers under Fedora?

   Yep; I have one from SanDisk (The ivory teardrop type) and it's
perfect.  Another one my brother got the other day (Can't remember the
brand) worked, too.

   I don't follow the old stuff, :) does Win2k/XP use a new filesystem,
or is it FAT?  (Mine, formatted by the camera, uses FAT, BTW)...

   ONE THING THAT HELPS: always 'format' the CF by the camera...don't
erase it any other way.  That way you're always sure the camera's happy
with whatever's on it, and you won't lose pictures that way.

    HTH...
Brian FahrlÃnder                 Researcher, Conservative, and Technomad
Evansville, IN                                     http://Fahrlander.net
ICQ  5119262