Re: removed MP3 support in media players in fedora core 1

Edward Croft wrote:

| This harkens back to the ease of use issue. Or as we like to say, the
Grandma issue.
| I just had to work with a Windows 2000 laptop. I went to a website that
| required Flash, and guess what happened? It automatically downloaded and
| installed the flash player and continued on playing. Easy enough for
Grandma.
| Knock Windows as much as you want, it is much easier to install software
| for the common user. This is the drawback to Linux at this time. It is
| definitely not ready for the common user, ie Grandma. Grandma is going to
| find it hard to install java. Hey Grandma, just download the rpm and
install,
| then go into /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins and create a link to the plugin.
Oh, and
| I know there are three directories, but of course, you know which
plugin to
| use. At least the flash installer copies the files into the
/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins
| directory for you. Oh, and you want to play a DVD on Linux? Well, now, be
| sure to download and install libdvd, and all those other libraries.
Getting
| the vendors to treat Linux with the same respect as Windows, is the real
| battle. License, copyrights, patents aside, we need the vendors to
| recognize Linux. We need a better mechanism for installing software.
Back in
| 1999 Linus stated that he wanted to see more kids games and programs,
and he
| wanted Linux easy enough for Grandma to install it. Well, we are near
five years
| later, and while there might be a few more games, it is still not easy
| enough for Grandma to install and use it.
| Okay, sorry, off my soapbox. Just frustrated.
| Ed.

That's what happens when you compare a for-pay OS that, by default,
gives ordinary users root/Admin access to a free-as-in-speech/beer one
that is firmly established in a multi-user philosophy.  If you want a
secure OS, there needs to be some concept of permissions/separation of
responsibilities/etc.  WinXP Home doesn't offer that.

If you really want a "Grandma" Linux distro, why not send Lindows your
money?  They'll happily send you a Linux distro where Grandma can run as
root till the cows come home.

Of course, that removes all the security advantages, but hey, at least
Grandma can watch her CSS-encumbered copy of Seven Brides for Seven
Brothers or Matlock: Season 1.

I share your frustration with license/patent-encumbered software.  It
sucks.  However, that leaves the Linux community (and distro makers)
with a choice: either the distros themselves break the law and
distribute "illegal" software, or they leave it up to the community and
look on with a knowing wink and a nod.

Perhaps your frustrations would be better addressed to your
congresscritter, who can actually do something about the odious DMCA and
software/business method patents.  Either do that, or install xmms-mp3,
libdvdcss and the flash-player-plugin for Grandma before you hand the
computer off to her.  Then show her how to rip her Andrews Sisters CDs
to a better format, like Ogg Vorbis.

- -- - ---------- Doug Stewart Systems Administrator/Web Applications Developer Lockheed Martin Advanced Technology Labs