VNC installs comments and questions

Hi,

I did my first FC vnc-install with http yesterday. Booted the target
machine from floppies (unable to boot from cd) and started the
installation. It is a lot nicer to sit on your own office watching
installation to proceed than freeze in the local machine room. Great!

It would even be nicer if the "first-boot" would not run or would run
vnc-enabled when the installation was vnc-based. There is absolutely
nothing in that "first-boot" thing that you could not do remotely or
would not wish to do remotely when installing a server. If I recall
right (I was in the machine room when the machine had first-booted so I
didn't check) the first-boot is run before the network comes up so you
can not even remotely kill the beast nor even access the machine until
that dialogue is completed. This quite effectively makes it less
appealing to use vnc installs.

Unfortunately why I did this kind of install was mainly to practise
doing the same with RHEL 3.0 AS and ES. Sadly this installation method
doesn't seem to be available for RHEL 3 AS or ES. The boot.iso doesn't
support graphical install with http which shuts vnc install out. This
bugs me greatly as I have two machines in the machine room across the
town in a "cave". In a cave where I have so far avoided acquiring "stage
pass" and thus becoming one of those miserably sods who actually might
be called in the middle of the night to fix things up. Almost nobody
here believes me when I claim that I know absolutely nothing about
Windows machines and therefore it pays to be insured by without having
physical access to the windows server pit.

It would have been nice to give cds and written instructions how to
start the installation process to the windows administrators and do the
install with vnc over ssh-tunnel from home this weekend. Windows admins
have to go over there anyway now and then to administer their pets with
"cds of confidence" to keep everything running smoothly.

I don't know if it would be possible to make a modified boot.iso and
http-installation tree by mixing things from FC 1 and RHEL AS 3 to get a
vnc-http-based installation for RHEL AS and ES but I'm really tempted to
try to do that...

Regards,
--
Mauri "mos" Sahlberg	Pretax Systems Oy	+358 207 44 2228
Technology Evangelist	Pääskylänrinne 8	+358 207 44 2201