Dual processor but see Quad processor

Hi all,

I installed Fedora Core 1 on IBM eServer with the following spec:
- 1U
- 2 x 36 GB Hardware RAID 1 (LSI and driver used is mpt)
- 2 x 2.8 Ghz Xeon
- 4 x 1 GB RAM

Right after install and logged in, the Gnome desktop seems unstable. Clicking the menu will occasionally paused for 1 or 2 seconds. I left it idle and not touching it, but it crashed automatically. Message log shows gdm-binary having problem. Not sure if it is so.

Then I run "top" and I notice it shows 4 CPU. I know this server only have 2. None of this 4 CPU shows any status. Idle is "0%". The status is wrong.

Then I tried RHEL AS 3, looks more stable, but the "top" also show 4 CPU. This time it shows the figure. Idle is around 98% to 100%. But the status run across all the 4 CPU (the physical CPU is only 2...)

Why seeing 4, not 2? Is there a way to pass kernel parameter during bootup to force it to use 2 only?

Thanks.

-- Yeak Nai Siew << Mac OS Forever >> << Linux Forever>> >>> http://www.redhat.com/rhce/rhce806200928901893.html <<<