SV: xinetd - needed?

> On Thu, 4 Dec 2003, Kevin Francis wrote:
>
> > xinetd seems to run duplicates ... I already have all that stuff started
> > via init ... it's the same stuff i had in gentoo, and i nver used xinetd
> > there ...
>
> You only need xinetd if you need xinetd to run somthing. If you
> have another
> way to run the services then xinetd is not needed.

Yes, take an ftp server as an example. It will probably have a line in its
config file telling if it has to run as a daemon (or standalone), that is
just running in the background and waiting for connections, or as inetd,
that is controlled by an inetd server, in this case xinetd, that starts it
upon request. If your server runs as standalone it doesn't need xinetd, as a
matter of fact it should be removed form xinetd's configuration.

/paolo