Re: NIS files

Pedro Fernandes Macedo wrote:
I'm installing the first fedora server in my work and I found something odd... I edited the /etc/yp.conf and added the settings to my domain:
domain NIS.mydomain.com broadcast
Then , when I tried to start ypbind , it didn't start... It only worked when I edited /etc/sysconfig/network and added the line NISDOMAIN=NIS.mydomain.com .
Is there any reason to do this?

Yes. The init scripts set your "domainname" if you have NISDOMAIN in the network sysconfig file. Otherwise, you have no "domainname" setting, and NIS doesn't work. There's nothing odd about it.

And another question: why is there the directory /etc/rc.d/init.d ? Why arent all the initscripts be in /etc/init.d , just like it was in redhat ?

The structure has been as it is for a very long time. Red Hat always had /etc/rc.d/init.d, and later FHS required /etc/init.d and /etc/rcx.d

Red Hat symlinked those to the locations they'd been using, and that's the way it is now.