Re: Aureal Vortex 1 Sound Card Not Recognized

On 2003-11-23 at 21:57:38-0600 Tim Sheets <tsheets@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I am having a problem getting my sound card to be recognized in FC1.
> the soundcard is an Aureal Vortex 1

You're screwed; throw it away and buy a different sound card.

Aureal was killed several years ago by Creative Labs' inferior
products and superior lawyers.  There was a petition to get the
company to release hardware specs, but some entity bought the IP
rights to the remnants of the company, and then promptly disappeared.

I bought one of the Aureal Vortex 2 cards years ago, when the only
other alternative was Creative Labs and their "Soundblaster Live!"
defective pieces of crap.  Despite the lack of hardware specs, some
intrepid developers had partially reverse-engineered a driver, but the
driver was quite buggy; running xmms for any significant period of
time would eventually completely wedge your system.

Anyway, when Aureal folded, that pretty much killed interest in the
reverse-engineered driver effort.  I went and bought a Turtle Beach
Santa Cruz card, and I've been happy ever since.

(Even under Windows, Aureal cards are essentially paperweights, as the
drivers haven't been updated in years.)

--
James Ralston, Information Technology
Software Engineering Institute