Re: NVIDIA driver compile

On Mon, 2003-12-01 at 17:33, Tom Mitchell wrote:

> > I have a 440 card just like yours and both nvidia and nv drivers work
> > fine although I have a small problem with DRI.  /usr/bin/X11/x11perf
> > -all does not core dump but also does display some funny lines in the
> > right corner.
>
> I will look into DRI and other x+gl-features and see what changes.
>
> So far the segv happens at different places in the test sequence
> so I suspect a software collision or trouble communicating with the
> x-server.
>
> After a second/third install of the nvidia driver the x-server is
> stable and only x11perf errors out.
>
> I will keep tinkering.

    Maybe this clue will help. (Granted, it's only a clue-let.)

    The distortion he's seeing sounds exactly like what I'm seeing now
with a fresh install under Fedora...and what I had when trying to
squeeze a few more FPS outta the 3d acceleration.

    The tweak was a minor fix; nothing so bold as to overclock it, but
something that was controlled under an environment variable listed in
the Release Notes from Nvidia.

    I'm sorry I don't have more information; it was a little tweak, and
the FPS it resulted in was less than worth the trouble...so I didn't
bother to write it down.  I think it was the thing that syncs the
frames...

    Sorry I don't have more to go on, but it sounds like it's something
that defaulted off, and nowdays it defaults to on.  Good luck with it.

    If you want some help with it, I can help ya shake the trees.

Brian FahrlÃnder                 Researcher, Conservative, and Technomad
Evansville, IN                                     http://Fahrlander.net
ICQ  5119262