Re: Tripwire cron line change question

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003, Keith G. Robertson-Turner wrote:
> On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 19:33:54 -0800, Tom Mitchell wrote:
> >> From: Keith G. Robertson-Turner <redhat-forums@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> >> tripwire-2.3.1-18.rhfc1 has now been submitted for QA.
>
> Well it was one of those essential apps that was missing from the release
> > For tripwire (-17) I have been tinkering with redirecting standard
> > error in /etc/cron.daily/tripwire-check so redundant messages like:
> Well in general, redirecting stderr to null means that if - e.g. - the app
> If it's a server or production system in a mission critical environment,
> then ... well let's put it this way, I wouldn't do it.

Thank you, after sleeping on this I will do it differently for my
home tinkering machines.

Instead of dev/null I will redirect stderr to a cautiously specified
tmpfile file.  Then after the normal report is generated "cat" that
error file.  This way if things error out in unexpected ways I will
still see the errors in the email from cron, but at the end.

In this case the missing files do have "standard" tripwire policy
lines such that if the files show up they are noticed  as a new
file then they are tracked for changes after a --update.  I did not
wish to simply remove them from the policy to tidy up the email.
i.e. If removed from the policy, I might not notice the arrival when
they show up after I load some new rpm, module or package that
justified a specific standard policy.

Regards,
TomM