Re: doughnuts on a fish hook

On Tue, Aug 26, 2003 at 10:44:12AM -0500, Troy Dawson wrote:
> When is the web page going to be updated?
> From the sounds of the standard reply, it sounds like it isn't going to be
> updated for at least 3 more weeks.

The extended form of the standard reply is that we don't want to
give an answer ahead of time, even if we have expectations for
a date, because we'd rather underpromise and overdeliver than
vice versa.  I know it is frustrating, and I can only say that
to frustrate is not our goal.

> My management is not going to accept my answer that 'I read it from some
> redhat guy on the mailling list' they want to see it on a web page.  A policy
> isn't a policy if it's only on some mailling list.  (I know that isn't
> entirely true, but think of it from managements perspective)

It would be even worse if we pulled it, put it back, and then changed
it a few times after that.  I sympathize with your management;
in their position, I'd want the same thing.  Messages posted by
employees should not be construed as statements of company policy.

What it says on the web site is really true, we're addressing
questions that have come up, and the answers aren't trivial (if
they were, we would have made a few quick changes and been back
on line immediately).  I do want to say that the discussion on
these lists has been very important and has provided some of the
questions that we believe it is critical to answer before we put
the web site back up.  We can't do this piecemeal; the issues
are linked together too closely for that to work.

I'd love to give you a date, but failing that, I just want
to make it clear that we're reading and thinking about every
single post that has been made to these lists (and when we can,
we are responding).  We absolutely won't make everyone happy,
and I certainly can't promise ahead of time that you will see
exactly what you want, but you can expect it to be much clearer.

michaelkjohnson

 http://people.redhat.com/johnsonm/lad/