Re: Need help

If you want it just once to shift into text mode, do

su -
init 3

if you want to make it go into text mode by default when it reboots, do:

su -
cp /etc/inittab /etc/inittab.bak
vi /etc/inittab

find this line:
id:5:initdefault:

change the "5" to "3"

<esc>:wq!

rebooot

Shadhin rahman wrote:

I just downloaded a newer version of XFree86 rpm. I
nee to configure that rpm. However, I dont know how
to start console mode. Everytime boot my system, it
automatically goes to kde desktop mode. I want to
start my system in console mode. I have redhat 9.0. Please help me. thank you.