Why does Red Hat render fonts thicker (and arguably better)?

I've noticed that antialiased fonts render differently
on Red Hat than other distros I've tried. The fonts
render slightly thicker, and the fuzziness is less
obvious. I've been trying, mostly out of curiosity, to
find out what makes the difference, but have had no
luck tracking down whatever changes or adjustments Red
Hat made.

How does Red Hat do it?