RAID timeout parameter accessibility request

Hi everyone. I'm sorry but I'm not currently subscribed to this list (I've
been sent here by the listmaster), so please CC me all your
answers/comments. Thanks in advance.

SHORT QUESTION :
In a Debian-controlled RAID array, is there a parameter that handles the
timeout before a non-responding drive is dropped from the array ? Can this
timeout become user-adjustable in a future build ?

EXPLANATIONS :
As you might know, if you install and use a "desktop edition" hard drive in
a RAID array, the drive may not work correctly. This is caused by the normal
error recovery procedure that a desktop edition hard drive uses : when an
error is found on a desktop edition hard drive, the drive will enter into a
deep recovery cycle to attempt to repair the error, recover the data from
the problematic area, and then reallocate a dedicated area to replace the
problematic area. This process can take up to 120 seconds depending on the
severity of the issue.

The problem is that most RAID controllers allow a very short amount of time
(7-15 seconds) for a hard drive to recover from an error. If a hard drive
takes too long to complete this process, the drive will be dropped from the
RAID array !

Of course there are "RAID edition" hard drives with a feature called TLER
(Time Limited Error Recovery) which stops the hard drive from entering into
a deep recovery cycle. The hard drive will only spend 7 seconds to attempt
to recover. This means that the hard drive will not be dropped from a RAID
array. But these "special" hard drives are way too expensive IMHO just for a
small firmware-based feature.

There would be an easy way to allow users to use "ordinary" hard drives in a
Debian software-controlled RAID array. So here's my request : I suppose
there is a parameter that handles the default timeout before a drive is
dropped from the RAID array. I don't know if this parameter is hardcoded,
but it would be nice if it was user-adjustable. This way, we could simply
set up this parameter to 120 seconds or more (instead of 7-15) and we
wouldn't have any more problems with using desktop "edition hard" drives in
a RAID array.

What do you think ? Can it be done in a future build ?

I really hope that you'll be able to help, because I guess a lot of people
can be concerned by this issue.

Many thanks in advance & Best regards.

Jose