Re: RFC: permit link(2) to work across --bind mounts ?

On Sun, 30 Dec 2007, David Newall wrote:

> dean gaudet wrote:
> > > Pffuff.  That's what volume managers are for!  You do have (at least) two
> > > independent spindles in your RAID1 array, which give you less need to
> > > worry
> > > about head-stack contention.
> > >

> > this system is write intensive and writes go to all spindles, so you're
> > assertion is wrong.
>
> I don't know what you think I was asserting, but you were wrong.  Of course
> I/O is distributed across both spindles.  You would expect no less.  THAT is
> what I was telling you.

are you on crack?

it's a raid1.  writes go to all spindles.  they have to.  by definition.
reads can be spread around, but writes are mirrored.

> > the main worry i have is some user maliciously hardlinks everything
> > under /var/log somewhere else and slowly fills up the file system with
> > old rotated logs.  the users otherwise have quotas so they can't fill
> > things up on their own.  i could probably set up XFS quota trees (aka
> > "projects") but haven't gone to this effort yet.
> >

> See, this is where you show that you don't understand the system.  I'll
> explain it, just once.  /var/home contains  home directories.  /var/log and
> /var/home are on the same filesystem.  So /var/log/* can be linked to
> /var/home/malicious, and that's just one of your basic misunderstandings.

yes you are on crack.

i told you i understand this exactly.  it's right there in the message
sent.

> No.  Look, you obviously haven't read what I've told you.  I mean, it's very
> obvious you haven't.  I'm wasting my time on you and I'm now out of
> generosity.  Good luck to you.  I think you need it.

you're the idiot not actually reading my messages.

-dean