Re: read-ahead in NFS server

saeed bishara wrote:
Are you using TCP?  Are you using NFSv4, or an older version?
I'm using NFSv3/UDP.
IMO, you definitely want TCP and NFSv4.  Much better network behavior,
with some of the silly UDP limits (plus greatly improved caching
behavior, due to v4 delegations).
the clients of my system going to be embedded system with low
performance cpus and I need UDP as it needs less cpu power.

I bet
	TCP + fewer revalidations + greater local pagecache activity
uses less cpu power than
	UDP + revalidations + rx/tx network activity

when I run local dd with bs=4K, I can see that the average IO size is
more than 300KB.
Read-ahead is easier in NFSv4, because the client probably has the file
delegated locally, and has far less need to constantly revalidate file
mapping(s).
I'll check that.
but what about the server side? why the issued IO's are only as twice
as the size of the NFS requests?

No idea.  I bet the source code can tell you :)

	Jeff