Re: x86: Increase PCIBIOS_MIN_IO to 0x1500 to fix nForce 4 suspend-to-RAM

Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
On Sunday, 23 of December 2007, Linus Torvalds wrote:
On Sun, 23 Dec 2007, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
The patch is fine by me, so if anyone has objections, please speak up.
There is absolutely *no* way I will apply this in an -rc6 release.

The number of machines this will break is totally unknown. It might be zero. It might be hundreds. We just don't know. We might hit another unlucky allocation that we just happened to avoid before.

I was rather thinking of putting it into -mm for some time and target for
2.6.25 if possible.

If it breaks systems, we can always revert before 2.6.25 final.

This is totally the wrong way to go about it.

Instead, it should detect this particular chipset and reserve relevant ports. Even better would be if we can find out what reserves these ports and mark it as a quirk.

That being said, I have seen other chipsets allocate ports in the low 0x1XXX range using non-BAR methods. They *should* reserve them in ACPI, of course.

	-hpa