Re: Updated Kernel Hacker's guide to git

Robert P. J. Day wrote:
On Sun, 23 Dec 2007, Jeff Garzik wrote:

Another year, another update!  :)

The kernel hacker's guide to git has received some updates:

	http://linux.yyz.us/git-howto.html

This includes all the input sent to me in the past several months,
as well as a few new tips and tricks I use on a regular basis.

In general, this document is designed to be a quick-start cookbook,
and not a comprehensive introduction.

there's one issue i have with this document, and that's that i wish it
more carefully distinguished between regular git "user" tasks, and git
"developer" tasks.

i may be mistaken, but it would seem that a lot of folks are going to
be what i call basic users, who only want to update their git tree,
check the logs, check the status and so on.  and if they start to get
ambitious, they might make some changes to the tree, do a diff, and
submit a patch.  but in the beginning, they won't be making commits or
switching branches, etc.

in short, i can see the value of something like a "getting started
with git as a basic user" tutorial.  does such a thing exist?

hmmm. There's the tutorial linked at the bottom of the page, which in turn links to http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/everyday.html

git is a developer's tool, so I sorta targetted that audience. I definitely agree that is not only git audience...

	Jeff