Re: [RFC] USB Kconfig: Declutter USB Kconfig Menu

> > Notice that this whole menu is for "Host-side USB", except for that
> > gadget stuff.  That might usefully be labeled as "Peripheral-side USB".
> >
> > For that matter, it could be moved up a level in the menu, so the top
> > level driver menu has two USB entries:  Host side, and Peripheral side.
>
> Actually, when you disable Host-side USB support, the menu looks like this:
>
> ┌───────────???──────────────────???──────────────────???───────────────┐
> │ --- USB support                                                 │
> │ < >   Support for Host-side USB  --->                           │
> │       USB Gadget Support  --->                                  │
> │                                                                 │

Right, that's what I said.   It makes the gadget stuff needlessly hard
to find, as well as being less clear about what a "gadget" is than it
really should be.

> I think renaming 'USB Gadget Support' to 'Support for Peripheral-side USB' is
> probably a good idea.

Only for displaying in its topmost menu...

> > The driver stacks are independent of each other, except for common data
> > structures like what's in the <linux/usb/ch9.h> header file.  I think
> > there's no real point, other than history, to having both sides share
> > the same menu.
>
> They aren't.

How can you say that, when you showed (right above!!) that they are???
Sure, there are submenus too.  But they're clearly in the same menu.

>	USB Gadget Support is in its own sub-menu.  And strictly
> speaking, Host-side USB should be too, but some people may feel that this
> would be nesting it too deep, and so it unfolds in the same menu.

Which is why my suggestion was to have them both move up a level, with
host and peripheral side menus nested normally:

	Device Drivers:
		[ ] HID devices
		< > Host side USB
		< > Peripheral side USB
		< > MMC/SD/SDIO card support
		[ ] LED support

That way both host and peripheral side support would have their own
menu, and that pointless nesting would be reduced.

- Dave