Re: [patch 3/3] PCI: use dev_printk in x86 quirk messages

On Fri, Dec 21, 2007 at 11:40:53PM +0100, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> > > That made it hard.  Arguably one file is PCI tree and the other is
> > > x86 tree.
> >
> > Hm, as traditionally we haven't had such an active x86 maintainer,
> > I've handled most of the pci quirk type stuff that people have sent to
> > me in the past :)
> >
> > But, now that we have more enthusiastic developers, I can change this.
> > If you want me to cut portions of the patch up, I'll be glad to do so,
> > just let me know.
> >
> > It's easy for me when merging, as our tools can handle it just fine,
> > but Andrew is the one with the big problems, so we should probably
> > shake it out on our end first...
> >
> > Ingo, what is easiest for you to do?  As I use quilt, I can very
> > simply cut a portion of the patch up, or drop it entirely.
>
> There's one patch right now in x86.git that affects
> arch/x86/kernel/quirks.c and arch/x86/pci/fixup.c - the one from Bjorn.
> (find below)

That's the same one I have :)

> Are your quirks (and other arch/x86) patches nicely standalone? If yes
> then we could pick them up just fine - patch-bomb me or send a tarball
> or mbox of the patches - whichever is the most convenient for you. (we
> too use quilt as the main repository)

They are usually mixed up with the other pci patches in my pci tree:
	http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/gregkh/gregkh-2.6/gregkh-02-pci/

> but if there's some dependency on continuing pci/driver infrastructure
> you might be working on then it would be better for you to carry them.
> Or if you'd just like to have Bjorn's patch in one piece. Tell me and
> i'll drop the changes below from x86.git.
>
> In any case, both variants would be fine for us - the important thing is
> to not drop any of the patches on the floor :)

How about you drop this one patch, and I'll keep it, as it goes along
with the other 2 patches in his series, and I'll make sure to check if I
have future pci quirk patches that affect the x86/ directory.

Sound reasonable?

thanks,

greg k-h