Re: [ofa-general] iommu dma mapping alignment requirements

Steve Wise wrote:
Roland Dreier wrote:
 > It appears that my problem boils down to a single host page of memory
 > that is mapped for dma, and the dma address returned by dma_map_sg()
 > is _not_ 64KB aligned.  Here is an example:

 > My first question is: Is there an assumption or requirement in linux
 > that dma_addressess should have the same alignment as the host address
 > they are mapped to?  IE the rdma core is mapping the entire 64KB page,
 > but the mapping doesn't begin on a 64KB page boundary.

I don't think this is explicitly documented anywhere, but it certainly
seems that we want the bus address to be page-aligned in this case.
For mthca/mlx4 at least, we tell the adapter what the host page size
is (so that it knows how to align doorbell pages etc) and I think this
sort of thing would confuse the HW.

 - R.

In arch/powerpc/kernel/iommu.c:iommu_map_sg() I see that it calls iommu_range_alloc() with a alignment_order of 0:

                vaddr = (unsigned long)page_address(s->page) + s->offset;
                npages = iommu_num_pages(vaddr, slen);
entry = iommu_range_alloc(tbl, npages, &handle, mask >> IOMMU_PAGE_SHIFT, 0);

But perhaps the alignment order needs to be based on the host page size?

Or based on the alignment of vaddr actually...