Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 14:17:10 +0000

From: Matthew Bloch <[email protected]>

Subject: Re: Testing RAM from userspace / question about memmap=

     arguments

To: [email protected]

Jon Masters wrote:

> On Tue, 2007-12-18 at 17:06 +0000, Matthew Bloch wrote:

>> I can see a few potential problems, but since my understanding of the

>> low-level memory mapping is muddy at best, I won't speculate; I'd just

>> appreciate any more expert views on whether this does work, or could be

>> made to work.

> Yo,

> I don't think your testing approach is thorough enough. Clearly (knowing

> your line of business - as a virtual machine provider), you want to do

> pre-production testing as part of your provisioning. I would suggest

> instead of using mlock() from userspace of simply writing a kernel

> module that does this for every page of available memory.

Yes this is to improve the efficiency of server burn-ins.  I would

consider a kernel module, but I still wouldn't be able to test the

memory in which the kernel is sitting, which is my problem.  I'm not

sure even a kernel module could reliably test the memory in which it is

residing (memtest86+ relocates itself to do this).  Also I don't see how

 userspace testing is any less thorough than doing it in the kernel; I

just need a creative way of accessing every single page of memory.

I may do some experiments with the memmap args, some bad RAM and

shuffling it between DIMM sockets when I have the time :)

--

Matthew