Re: PCI resource problems caused by improper address rounding

On Tuesday 18 December 2007 02:09:15 pm Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Dec 2007, Richard Henderson wrote:
> >
> > I've added dmesg, /proc/iomem, and lspci -v output to that bug.
> >
> > Basically, we have
> >
> > 	c0000000-cfffffff : free
> > 	ddf00000-dfefffff : PCI Bus #04
> > 	e0000000-efffffff : pnp 00:0b
> > 	f0000000-fedfffff : less than 256MB
>
> Gaah.
>
> That really is very unlucky. That 256M only goes at one point in the low
> 4GB, but the thing is, it fits perfectly well above it, and dammit, that
> resource is explicitly a 64-bit resource or a really good reason.
>
> However, I wonder about that
>
> 	e0000000-efffffff : pnp 00:0b
>
> thing. I actually suspect that that whole allocation is literally *meant*
> for that 256MB graphics aperture, but the kernel explicitly avoids it
> because it's listed in the PnP tables.
>
> I wonder what the heck is the point of that pnp entry. Just for fun, can
> you try to just disable CONFIG_PNP, and see if it all works then?

00:0b must be a "motherboard" device, probably PNP0C01 or PNP0C02.
Those are catch-all devices with no real programming model associated
with them; they only describe resource usage.  AFAICT, they're mostly
used to describe legacy stuff like interrupt controllers, timers, etc.

My laptop has the same range for one of its PNP0C02 devices.  I'll
try to dig up a chipset spec and see what might look like that range.

We used to ignore anything past the first 8 I/O port regions and 4
memory regions (PNP_MAX_PORT and PNP_MAX_MEM), but those limits have
been recently bumped a bit [1].  That will cause additional reservations
that may explain some of the issues we're seeing.

[1] http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commitdiff;h=a7839e960675b549f06209d18283d5cee2ce9261