watchdog behaviour on close? (watchdog-api.txt)

Hi, I am trying to implement a watchdog driver in 2.6.23 for the i.MXL
cpu (based off of drivers/char/watchdog/s3c2410_wdt.c).

I had a question about the api doc for the watchdog
(Documentation/watchdog-api.txt).  Line 37 says "When the device is
closed, the watchdog is disabled."  Later on (Line 56) it says
"Drivers will not disable the watchdog, unless a specific magic
character 'V' has been sent /dev/watchdog just before closing the
file."

I would assume that from reading L37 that the driver would
unconditionally shut down the watchdog when closing (unless
CONFIG_WATCHDOG_NOWAYOUT or the nowayout module param is specified),
but line 56 seems to contradict that.

Can you clarify the intended behaviour?

I am not subscribed to the mailing list, so please cc: replies to me.
--
Hardware, n.:
        The parts of a computer system that can be kicked.