Re: Top kernel oopses/warnings this week

Theodore Tso wrote:
On Mon, Dec 17, 2007 at 04:21:12PM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
which also gets bonus points for being totally unreadable, and thus 100% in the spirit of uuid's.

Heh.  UUID's don't have to be readable; just universally unique.  Code
on the other hand should be readable.   :-)

Linus' suggested... improvement should either be done in all 3 places or none ;)
Since you're the maintainer... what's your suggestion?

If you want something more readable, you could print the MAC address
and boot time.  Of course some crazy people seem to think leaking the
MAC address will somehow be a privacy violation.  And printing a
random UUID is a lot simpler....

boot UUID is nice in that it's different each boot, so that an oops that happens twice will have a
different UUID even if it's the same machine, while repeat-reports of the same oops will have
the same UUID. So I very much like to use some form of UUID; since the boot UUID has the
same properties I was happy to share this; if it gets too ugly or evil code wise I can always
pick something else ;-)