Re: swapping in 2.6.24-rc5-git3

On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 14:17:26 +0100
Lukas Hejtmanek <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> does /proc/sys/vm/swappiness still work as expected?
> # /proc/sys/vm# cat swappiness
> 0
>
> but scp-ing 2GB file causes many processes are swapped out due to increase of
> the file cache size. Why? This is totally catastrophic behaviour on the desktop.

Hmm, which version of the kernel do you compare with ?

Seems following patch is the newest one, which changes meaning of swappiness.
Now the swap happens even if swappiness=0, when the system memory usage is highly
unbalanced or when memory reclaim doesn't make progress.
=
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commitdiff;h=4106f83a9f86afc423557d0d92ebf4b3f36728c1
=

> Is there a way to avoid it except turning off the swap?

Maybe...no.

(*) I'm now working on memory resource controller in -mm kernel. please see/try
    and comments if interested.

Thanks,
-Kame