Re: 2.6.24-rc5-mm1 -- inconsistent {in-softirq-W} -> {softirq-on-R} usage.

From: Andrew Morton <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 15:36:33 -0800

> The networking bug looks to be around sock_i_ino()'s taking of
> sk_callback_lock with softirq's enabled.  Perhaps this will fix it.

One should be suspicious of any case where write_lock is performed
on sk->sk_callback_lock in softint context.  And that's the only
way this can trigger, so this patch is wrong.

Generally, sock_orphan() and sock_graft() are the only primary
places where sk->sk_callback_lock is acquired as a writer.  And
these should be invoked only from process context.

Perhaps there is some exception to this in some specialized layer such
as SUNRPC, which are the only other spots I see potentially doing
sk->sk_callback_lock write acquires in softint context, which as
stated should not be done.

OCFS2 and ISCSI seem to be following the rules in it's write lock
calls on this lock.