Re: How to Switch DMA off for only one Harddisk at Kernelboot

Hi,

Gabriel C wrote:
Oliver Joa wrote:
Hi,

Hi Oliver ,

how can I tell the kernel not to probe DMA for a specific harddisk (e.g. hda). My first Drive (hda) is a Compact-Flash Card which can not do DMA. The kernel tries at boot to switch to DMA but fails. If I use ide=nodma, the kernel boots about 2 minutes faster, but then I can not switch on DMA for the second Drive (hdc) which is a normal Harddisk. Do I have to live with this 2 minutes waiting time or is there another solution? I did not find any kernel-parameter for this purpose.

Sorry if I ask here, but I can not find any solution, and I asked already in other groups.

Thank you very much

Should work with hda=nodma or ideX=nodma ( where X is your HDD nr , in your case is 0 )

I tried this already, it does not work.

Also have a look at Documentation/ide.txt.

I read this already. Searching for "nodma" in this document gives only one line:

 "ide=nodma"            : disable DMA globally for the IDE subsystem.

If the documentation is correct hda=nodma and ideX=nodma should not work. I use kernel 2.6.23.1 at the moment.

Thanks

Olli