Re: [RANDOM] Move two variables to read_mostly section to save memory

Matt Mackall a écrit :
On Sun, Dec 16, 2007 at 12:45:01PM +0100, Eric Dumazet wrote:
While examining vmlinux namelist on i686, I noticed :

c0581300 D random_table
c0581480 d input_pool
c0581580 d random_read_wakeup_thresh
c0581584 d random_write_wakeup_thresh
c0581600 d blocking_pool

That means that the two integers random_read_wakeup_thresh and random_write_wakeup_thresh use a full cache entry (128 bytes).

But why did that happen?

Probably because of this:

        spinlock_t lock ____cacheline_aligned_in_smp;

in struct entropy_store.

And that comes from here:

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/tglx/history.git;a=commitdiff;h=47b54fbff358a1d5ee4738cec8a53a08bead72e4;hp=ce334bb8f0f084112dcfe96214cacfa0afba7e10

So we could save more memory by just dropping that alignment.

The trick is to improve the scalability without it. Currently, for
every 10 bytes read, we hash the whole output pool and do three
feedback cycles, each grabbing the lock briefly and releasing it. We
also need to grab the lock every 128 bytes to do some accounting. So
we do 40 locks every 128 output bytes! Also, the output pool itself
gets bounced back and forth like mad too.

I'm actually in the middle of redoing some patches that will reduce
this to one lock per 10 bytes, or 14 locks per 128 bytes.
But we can't do much better than that without some fairly serious
restructuring. Like switching to SHA-512, which would take us to one
lock for every 32 output bytes, or 5 locks per 128 bytes with accounting.

We could also switch to per-cpu output pools for /dev/urandom, which
would add 128 bytes of data per CPU, but would eliminate the lock
contention and the pool cacheline bouncing. Is it worth the added
complexity? Probably not.

Yes, this reminds me the prefetch_range(r->pool, wordmask); is wrong (should be prefetch_range(r->pool, wordmask*4) , so I am not sure how it could help David to get better performance.... :(