Re: New question on that sata controller

Gene Heskett wrote:
Greetings;

When I asked about a sata controller earlier this week, I gave a link to it. Unforch (maybe) when it actually arrived, the cards box showed a silicon image chip, and the card had a via. So much for getting what I ordered...

The required module then was sata_via, not sata_uli, and it seems to be working ok. However, this one claims its a raid controller according to an lspci -v:

01:0a.0 RAID bus controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6421 IDE RAID Controller (rev 50)
        Subsystem: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6421 IDE RAID Controller
        I/O ports at 9400 [size=16]
        I/O ports at 9800 [size=16]
        I/O ports at 9c00 [size=16]
        I/O ports at a000 [size=16]
        I/O ports at a400 [size=32]
        I/O ports at a800 [size=256]
        [virtual] Expansion ROM at e9000000 [disabled] [size=64K]
        Capabilities: [e0] Power Management version 2

I just noted that the Expansion ROM is disabled, but I didn't see any jumpers to enable it on the card prior to installing it. Does anyone know how this is supposed to work? I would like to make it directly bootable but I believe this has to be 'enabled' for that.

It's usually normal for it to be disabled after boot, I believe. Are you getting anything showing up on boot indicating its BIOS is active?

I cannot find any references to this particular chip in a 'make xconfig' for 2.6.24-rc5.

Should this be a concern, or is this one a 'Just Works(TM)' chipset? This card has 3 sata port connectors and one ide fitted.

Two rather pleasant side effects of going to the Biostar.tw site and finding a newer bios and installing it on an M7NCD Pro mobo are:

1: FSB now running at 400MHZ, was 333 before as it was not at all stable at 400 and I have been told the XP-2800 Athlon only supports 333 and AMD's site agrees.

2: CPU temps are down around 13F. CPU speed still the same at 2079MHZ according to dmesg.

The reduced temps at a higher FSB indicates better interface timing, and if it runs the rest of the night at 400 without a self reboot or crash, I'll leave it there.

--
Robert Hancock      Saskatoon, SK, Canada
To email, remove "nospam" from [email protected]