Re: x86_64 and AMD with C1E

On Wed, 24 Oct 2007, Chuck Ebbert wrote:

> >> How are you disabling C1E?
> >>

> > dirty hack, i just follow the FreeBSD way and clear C1e bit in lapic
> > initialization code. I make it for test purpose only, so i do not produce a
> > patch.
> >

> Why does disabling C1E disable C1, C2 and C3?
>
> Thomas, in the case of the machines where C1E is disabled on CPU 0 but
> enabled on CPU 1, could we just disable it? Maybe it's a BIOS bug and the
> vendor just forgot to disable CPU 1...

This whole C1E business is a lot of magic trickery in the guts of the
BIOS. I have an X2 box here with an extrem interesting behaviour. C1E
is not advertised at all, but the box freezes with the same symptoms
unless I disable the local apic timer on the kernel command line. I
have no clue how this works internally.

     tglx