Re: [patch 01/10] e1000e: make E1000E default to the same kconfig setting as E1000

On Fri, 14 Dec 2007, Andrew Morton wrote:

> On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 15:39:26 -0500
> Jeff Garzik <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > [email protected] wrote:
> > > From: Randy Dunlap <[email protected]>
> > >
> > > Make E1000E default to the same kconfig setting as E1000.  So people's
> > > machiens don't stop working when they use oldconfig.
> > >
> > I am not inclined to apply this one.  This practice, applied over time,
> > will tend to accumulate weird 'default' and 'select' statements.
> >
> > So I think the breakage that occurs is mitigated by two factors:
> > 1) kernel hackers that do their own configs are expected to be able to
> > figure this stuff.
> > 2) kernel builders (read: distros, mainly) are expected to have put
> > thought into the Kconfig selection and driver migration strategies.
> >
> > PCI IDs move across drivers from time, and we don't want to apply these
> > sorts changes:  Viewed in the long term, the suggested patch is merely a
> > temporary change to allow kernel experts to more easily deal with the
> > PCI ID migration across drivers.
> >
> > I would prefer simply to communicate to kernel experts and builders
> > about a Kconfig issue that could potentially their booting/networking...
> >   because this patch is only needed if the kernel experts do not already
> > know about a necessary config update.
>
> You can take it out again later on - most people's .configs will then have
> E1000E set.   People who still do `cp ancientconfig .config ; make oldconfig'
> remain screwed.

I was thinking the same thing.  Leave it in for 2 or 3 major versions
and then remove it (something analogous to the timeframe for a feature
removal).

And during the interim period, add something like the following
to the Kconfig help text:

	Note some hardware that was previously supported by the
	e1000 driver is now only handled by the e1000e driver.
	If unsure and you previously used the e1000 driver,
	say Y or M here.

> I dunno.  I guess I'm not into causing people pain in an attempt to train
> them to do what we want.  This is a popular driver and a *lot* of people
> are going to:
>
> - build new kernel
>
> - install new kernel
>
> - find it doesn't work, go through quite large amounts of hassle trying
>   to work out why it stopped working.  Eventually work out that e1000
>   stopped working.  Eventually work out that it stopped working because we
>   forcibly switched them to a new driver which they didn't know about.
>
> - reconfigure kernel
>
> - rebuild, reinstall

Having been there, done that, it's definitely a pain.  It's especially
painful when you're doing it remotely, and since the network no longer
works, you can't get into the system anymore.

> Multiply that by 100s of people (at least).  All because Jeff wouldn't
> apply a one-liner?

						-Bill