Re: [patch 01/10] e1000e: make E1000E default to the same kconfig setting as E1000

On Fri, Dec 14, 2007 at 03:39:26PM -0500, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
>> From: Randy Dunlap <[email protected]>
> So I think the breakage that occurs is mitigated by two factors:
> 1) kernel hackers that do their own configs are expected to be able to
> figure this stuff.
> 2) kernel builders (read: distros, mainly) are expected to have put thought
> into the Kconfig selection and driver migration strategies.
> I would prefer simply to communicate to kernel experts and builders about a
> Kconfig issue that could potentially their booting/networking...  because
> this patch is only needed if the kernel experts do not already know about a
> necessary config update.

You miss the vast majority of kconfig users:

3) system administrators etc. who for different reasons compile their
own kernels but neither are nor want to be kernel developers

There's a reason why e.g. LPI requires you to be able to compile your
own kernel even for getting a "Junior Level Linux Professional"
certificate.

Or that one of the authors of "Linux Device drivers" has written a book
covering only how to build and run your own kernel.

> 	Jeff

cu
Adrian

       "Only a promise," Lao Er said.