Re: A peek at the future of storage

On Wed, Dec 12, 2007 at 08:46:18AM -0800, Daniel Phillips wrote:
> Incidentally, we ran our tests with 128 knfsd threads.  The default of 8
> threads produces miserable performance on the SSD, which gave us a good
> scare on our initial test run.  It would be very nice to implement an
> algorithm to scale the knfsd thread pool automatically, in order to
> eliminate this class of thing that can go wrong.  If somebody became
> inspired to take on that little project that would be great, otherwise
> it is in our pipeline for, hmm, Christmas delivery.  (Exactly which
> Christmas is left unspecified.)

People have proposed writing a daemon that just reads /proc/net/rpc/nfsd
periodically and uses that to adjust the number of threads from
userspace, probably subject to some limits in a config file someplace.
(Think that could do the job, or is there some reason this would be
easier in the kernel?)

--b.