Re: RFC: outb 0x80 in inb_p, outb_p harmful on some modern AMD64 with MCP51 laptops

1) I found in a book, the Undocumented PC, that I have lying around that the "pause" recommended for some old adapter chips on the ISA bus was 1 usec. The book carefully points out on various models of PCs how many short jumps are required to implement 1 usec, and suggests that for faster machines, 1 usec loops be calibrated. That seems like a good heuristic.

2) Also, Dick, you got me interested in doing more historical research into electrical specs and circuit diagrams (which did come with the IBM 5150). The bus in the original IBM PC had no problem with "bus capacity being charged" as you put it. Perhaps you don't remember that the I/O bus had the same electrical characteristics as the memory bus. Thus there is no issue with the bus being "charged". The issue of delays between i/o instructions was entirely a problem of whether the adapter card could clock data into its buffers and handle the clocked in data in time for another bus cycle. This had nothing to do with "charging" - buses in those days happily handled edges that were much faster than 1 usec.

We at Software Arts did what we did based on direct measurements and testing. We found that the early BIOS listings were usually fine, but in fact were misleading. After all, the guys who built the machine and wrote the BIOS were in a hurry. There were errata.
linux-os (Dick Johnson) wrote:
You do remember that the X86 can do back-to-back port
instructions faster than the ISA bus capacity can be
charged, don't you? You do remember the admonishment
about:
 	intel asm

 	mov	dx, port	; One of two adjacent ports
 	mov	al,ffh		; All bits set
 	out	dx,al		; Output to port, bits start charging bus
 	inc	al		; Al becomes 0
 	inc	dx		; Next port
 	out	dx,al		; Write 0 there, data bits discharged

When the port at 'port' gets its data, it will likely
be 0, not 0xff, because the intervening instructions
can execute faster than a heavily-loaded ISA bus.