Re: tipc_init(), WARNING: at arch/x86/mm/highmem_32.c:52, [2.6.24-rc4-git5: Reported regressions from 2.6.23]

* Ingo Molnar <[email protected]> wrote:

> > The problem is that for each cache, you have an "per-node alien
> > queues" for each node (see struct kmem_cache nodelists -> struct
> > kmem_list3 alien). Moving slab metadata to struct page solves this
> > but now you can only have one "queue" thats part of the same struct.
>
> yes, it's what i referred to as "distributed, per node cache". It has
> no "quadratic overhead". It has SLAB memory spread out amongst nodes.
> I.e. 1 million pages are distributed amongst 1k nodes with 1000 pages
> per node with each node having 1 page.
>
> But that memory is not lost and it's disingenous to call it 'overhead'
> and it very much comes handy for performance _IF_ there's global
> workload that involves cross-node allocations. It's simply a cache
> that is mis-sized and mis-constructed on large node count systems but
> i bet it makes quite a performance difference on low-node-count
> systems.
>
> On high node-count systems it might make sense to reduce the amount of
> cross-node caching and to _structure_ the distributed NUMA SLAB cache
> in an intelligent way (perhaps along cpuset boundaries) [...]

i think much of this could be achieved by delaying the creation of alien
caches up until the point a { node X } -> { node Y } alloc/free
relationship gets established. So if a system is partitioned along
cpusets, vast areas of the NxN matrix never gets populated with alien
caches.

	Ingo