Re: x86_64 dynticks not working prev: cpuidle, dynticks compatible or no?

Ed Sweetman wrote:
System is idle now, previously it was doing something i couldn't halt at the time. I'm looking at "Local timer interrupts" in the "Loc:" section of /proc/interrupts. Across 1 second while the system is pretty much idle, i still get 300 interrupts. My HZ variable is set to 300 in the kernel config, so this is expected but I was under the assumption that dynticks/tickless being compiled in would cause that to be much lower.

Am I reading the wrong section of /proc/interrupts to verify if dynticks is working or not? Again, i see no difference in cpu temp at all.

Try running powertop ( http://www.lesswatts.org/projects/powertop/ ) and see what it reports.

I don't think dynticks will generally save huge amounts of power on a typical desktop machine. The big gains come from being able to stay in deep sleep C-states (C2/C3) for longer periods of time, but most desktop machines only enable sleep states down to C1.

In case it helps, this is an athlon64 x2 with apic functioning and both cores active in 64bit mode. dmesg is below.
not related :
Some additional notes: it87 is my lm_sensor, it doesn't work in this kernel, yet it did in 2.6.22. Perhaps enabling high precision timers changed something in acpi land.

I enabled tcp dma offloading in this kernel, i get debugging output related to it, error is at the last line. No corruption or otherwise bad behavior. Transferring via cifs at 9.7MB/sec "incoming" took about 15% of one cpu... I never bothered to check if that is the norm but i suspect i'll be removing that feature as it seems to not play nice with the kernel.

--
Robert Hancock      Saskatoon, SK, Canada
To email, remove "nospam" from [email protected]