Re: PS3: trouble with SPARSEMEM_VMEMMAP and kexec

On 12/05/2007 10:09 PM, Yasunori Goto wrote:
>> I'll try Milton's suggestion to pre-allocate the memory early.  It seems
>> that should work as long as nothing else before the hot-plug mem is added
>> needs a large chunk.
>
> (However, I think Milton-san's suggestion is very desirable.
>  If preallocation of hotadd works on ia64 too, I'm very glad.)

As it turns out, preallocation is not a such a good solution I
think because in the general case the system may need many
allocations to support the added memory, so it would be difficult
to know how much pre-allocated memory is needed.  I think a
preferable solution is to use memory from the newly added
region.

I don't plan to work on a pre-allocation method.  I think I can
free up sufficient memory in other ways.

-Geoff