Re: [BUG] 2.6.23-rc3 can't see sd partitions on Alpha

* Andrew Morton <[email protected]> wrote:

> > then the test of whether I bisected correctly is as simple as
> > applying the commit and seeing if things break, because I'm running
> > on the kernel corresponding to
> > 2f1f53bdc6531696934f6ee7bbdfa2ab4f4f62a3 right now.  Let me give
> > that a try and I'll report back.  Worst case, I'll have to start
> > over and write off the past four days...
>
> Gad.  I trust the second time will be faster.
>
> git-bisect _is_ very error prone.  I find one of the problems is that
> each step is so far apart in time that you forget what you were doing.
> Did I remember to test that iteration?  Did I install the right
> kernel?  etc.

i have a fully automated bootup-hang bisection script. It is based on
"git-bisect run". I run the script, it builds and boots kernels fully
automatically, and when the bootup fails (the script notices that via
the serial log, which it continuously watches - or via a timeout, if the
system does not come up within 10 minutes it's a "bad" kernel), the
script raises my attention via a beep and i power cycle the test box.
(yeah, i should make use of a managed power outlet to 100% automate it)

So i dont have to a single manual decision anytime during the bisection.
But the scripts are very much tied to my ad-hoc test environment so it
would not be of much general use.

	Ingo