Re: Bug: get EXT3-fs error Allocating block in system zone

Andrew Morton schrieb:
But the effect is under every circumstances described above that I got after an unspecific time EXT3-fs errors. I tried to use different partitions, one for root and data, got errors on both.

Dec 3 15:05:34 adira EXT3-fs error (device sdb4): ext3_new_block: Allocating block in system zone - blocks from 74907667, length 1

I tried different hard disks, different sizes of partitions, always the same issue. I always saw that mem is fully cached (I have 8GB RAM!). After that, the ext3 has severe faults fsck.ext3 repaired them, but an amount of data was lost.

I also tried with different file systems (reiserfs3, xfs), also kernel trace errors, so I got back to ext3.

Can't believe that it's a pure fs-error. Is it an ahci.c issue? Or a problem with acpi and memory management?

At a guess I'd say the disk system is being bad.  it might be a hardware
failure too - it's a new system.

I thought that first, too. I forgot to mention that I did a badblocks on the partitions and the two whole disks. No issues reported. I formated the disks several times and reinstalled the whole gentoo and compiled the kernel again more than one time (I tried 2.6.24-rc3 too) 'cause of the ext3 / other fs issues. I did dd if=/dev/zero of=... on the partitions and the whole disks. No issues of bad blocks. The strange thing is everything works fine under Windows XP x64 Prof. But I don't wanted to use that OS really... So I can't believe that's a hardware issue of the disks.