Re: NFS Killable tasks request comments on patch

On Tue, Dec 04, 2007 at 04:25:43PM -0500, Liam Howlett wrote:
> This patch removes the rpc sigmask code and changes the
> out_of_line_wait_on_bit and wait_on_bit calls in the sched.c file to
> use TASK_KILLABLE.  The result of this patch is the ability to kill
> commands issued to a dead NFS mount by the normal ctrl+c method.  I am

I've done a more thorough review of Liam's work and come up with a few
more fixes (which I'll publish later today), but more importantly, a
list of questions for the NFS/RPC people:

1. __nfs_revalidate_inode - with an error return from nfs_wait_on_inode(),
   shouldn't we go to out_nowait()?

2. nfs4_set_lock_task_retry - shouldn't we honour the fatal signal, and,
   say, set the timeout to MAXTIMEOUT?

3. Can we make nfs use rpc_wait_bit_killable()?  I think there's two places
   that exact function is duplicated.

4. Can we remove the 'action' parameter from
   __rpc_wait_for_completion_task()?  It's always NULL.

5. Should xprt_rdma_free be using wait_event_killable?
   Ditto rpcrdma_ep_connect and rpcrdma_ep_disconnect

I think we're going to find a lot of places where attention hasn't been
paid to the 'intr' case.  It's always been a wart, so I'm unsurprised it
doesn't get much testing.

a retrograde step."