Re: [feature] automatically detect hung TASK_UNINTERRUPTIBLE tasks

* Andi Kleen <[email protected]> wrote:

> > you are over-designing it way too much - a backtrace is obviously
> > very helpful and it must be printed by default. There's enough
> > configurability in it already so that you can turn it off if you
> > want.
>
> So it will hit everybody first before they can figure out how to get
> rid of it? That was the part I was objecting too.

you are apparently arguing in a circle. This is a debug mechanism. It
goes the normal upstream acceptance process. I have booted this patch a
few hundred times on a number of boxes and got not a single false
positive so far. While this is in no way an exhaustive test, only more
testing (in -mm, etc.) will tell us more, one way or another. Your
negative feedback about an impending catastrophy has been duly noted
(which vision of yours has not been shared by anyone else in this thread
so far), and is given its due weight. Can we now please move on to a
more productive stage?

	Ingo