Re: [feature] automatically detect hung TASK_UNINTERRUPTIBLE tasks

* Andi Kleen <[email protected]> wrote:

> > Out of direct experience, 95% of the "too long delay" cases are plain
> > old bugs. The rest we can (and must!) convert to TASK_KILLABLE or could
>
> I already pointed out a few cases (nfs, cifs, smbfs, ncpfs, afs).  It
> would be pretty bad to merge this patch without converting them to
> TASK_KILLABLE first

which we want to do in 2.6.25 anyway, so i dont see any big problems
here. Also, it costs nothing to just stick it in and see the results,
worst case we'd have to flip around the default. I think this is much
ado about nothing - so far i dont really see any objective basis for
your negative attitude.

> There's also the additional issue that even block devices are often
> network or SAN backed these days. Having 120 second delays in there is
> quite possible.
>
> So most likely adding this patch and still keeping a robust kernel
> would require converting most of these delays to TASK_KILLABLE first.
> That would not be a bad thing -- i would often like to kill a process
> stuck on a bad block device -- but is likely a lot of work.

what if you considered - just for a minute - the possibility of this
debug tool being the thing that actually animates developers to fix such
long delay bugs that have bothered users for almost a decade meanwhile?

Until now users had little direct recourse to get such problems fixed.
(we had sysrq-t, but that included no real metric of how long a task was
blocked, so there was no direct link in the typical case and users had
no real reliable tool to express their frustration about unreasonable
delays.)

Now this changes: they get a "smoking gun" backtrace reported by the
kernel, and blamed on exactly the place that caused that unreasonable
delay. And it's not like the kernel breaks - at most 10 such messages
are reported per bootup.

We increase the delay timeout to say 300 seconds, and if the system is
under extremely high IO load then 120+ might be a reasonable delay, so
it's all tunable and runtime disable-able anyway. So if you _know_ that
you will see and tolerate such long delays, you can tweak it - but i can
tell you with 100% certainty that 99.9% of the typical Linux users do
not characterize such long delays as "correct behavior".

> > There are no softlockup false positive bugs open at the moment. If
> > you know about any, then please do not hesitate and report them,
> > i'll be eager to fix them. The softlockup detector is turned on by
> > default in Fedora (alongside lockdep in rawhide), and it helped us
> > find countless
>
> That just means nobody runs stress tests on those. [...]

that is an all-encompassing blanket assertion that sadly drips of ill
will (which permeates your mails lately). I for example run tons of
stress tests on "those" and of course many others do too. So i dont
really know what to think of your statement :-(

> [...] e.g. lockdep tends to explode even on simple stress tests on
> larger systems because it tracks all locks in all dynamic objects in
> memory and towards 6k-10k entries the graph walks tend to take
> multiple seconds on some NUMA systems.

a bug was fixed in this area - can you still see this with 2.6.24-rc3?

[ But i'd be the first one to point out that lockdep is certainly not
  from the cheap tools department, that's why i said above that lockdep
  is enabled in Fedora rawhide (i.e. development) kernels. Softlockup
  detector is much cheaper and it's default enabled all the time. ]

	Ingo