Re: What can we do to get ready for memory controller merge in 2.6.25

On Sat, 1 Dec 2007 11:02:32 -0800
"Paul Menage" <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Dec 1, 2007 10:36 AM, Rik van Riel <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > With the /proc/refaults info, we can measure how much extra
> > memory each process group needs, if any.
>
> What's the status of that? It looks as though it would be better than
> the "accessed in the last N seconds" metric that we've been playing
> with, although it's possibly more intrusive?
>
> Would it be practical to keep a non-resident set for each cgroup?

I have an implementation with a global array, but will have to
change it over to a per-radix tree implementation (not that
hard, with the slab reclaiming code) and per-cgroup reclaiming
information.

That way we can figure out per mapping, per cgroup or system
wide reclaim info (though not all at the same time).

> > As for how much memory a process group needs, at pageout time
> > we can check the fraction of pages that are accessed.  If 60%
> > of the pages were recently accessed at pageout time and this
> > process group is spending little or no time waiting for refaults,
> > 40% of the pages are *not* recently accessed and we can probably
> > reduce the amount of memory assigned to this group.
>
> It would probably be better to reduce its background-reclaim high
> watermark than to reduce its limit. If you do the latter, you risk
> triggering an OOM in the cgroup if it turns out that it did need all
> that memory after all.

I did mean the RSS limit, not a virtual memory limit.

What exactly are all the terminologies you use that
I need to be aware of? :)