Re: + restore-missing-sysfs-max_cstate-attr.patch added to -mm tree

On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 22:14:08 -0500
Mark Lord <[email protected]> wrote:

> > in -mm there is.. the QoS stuff allows you to set maximum tolerable
> ..
>
> That's encouraging, I think, but not for 2.6.24.
>
> > latency. If your app cant take any latency, you should set those...
> > and the side effect is that the kernel will not do long-latency
> > C-states or P-state transitions..
> ..
>
> I don't mind the cpufreq changing (actually, I want it to drop in
> cpugfreq to save power and keep the fan off), but the C-states just
> kill this app.
>
> The app is VMware.  I force the max_state=1 when launching,

ah but then its' even easier... and can be done in 2.6.24 already.
VMWare after all has a kernel module, and the latency stuff is in
2.6.23 and 2.6.24 available inside the kernel already.

> I'm not sure about C?? -- it could be C8 or even be C2 or whatever.
> I suppose I should find out, but that really takes a lot of fuss
> (hours) to measure, and isn't strictly repeatable.

(also hope you don't have one of those AMD machines where the bios
turns C1 into C2/C3/etc behind the OSes back ;-)

--
If you want to reach me at my work email, use [email protected]
visit http://www.lesswatts.org