Re: Out of tree module using LSM

On Thu, 2007-11-29 at 15:56 -0500, [email protected] wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 14:45:51 EST, Jon Masters said:
> > Ah, but I could write a sequence of pages that on their own looked
> > garbage, but in reality, when executed would print out a copy of the
> > Jargon File in all its glory. And if you still think you could look for
> > patterns, how about executable code that self-modifies in random ways
> > but when executed as a whole actually has the functionality of fetchmail
> > embedded within it? How would you guard against that?
>
> So, just because Fred Cohen showed in his PhD thesis that *perfect* virus/malware
> scanning is equivalent to the Turing Halting Problem, we should abandon
> efforts to make a 99.9998% workable system?

I think you misread what I said. I implied the exact opposite :-)

I'm trying to show that I understand the problem by saying the above,
that doing this perfectly is impossible, but I also happen to believe
that there are those who have solutions that provide a level of
protection to their users, who ask for such things. Hence my point is
that it's not really our place to debate whether virus scanning is
good/bad but more how to provide a sane API. I'll get a spec.

Jon.