Re: [RFC] kmemcheck: trap uses of uninitialized memory (v2)

Vegard Nossum wrote:
Hi,

On Nov 28, 2007 7:51 AM, Richard Knutsson <[email protected]> wrote:
Vegard Nossum wrote:
+static int
Not 'static bool'?
+page_is_tracked(struct page *page)
Why not returning 'false' and 'true'?

Sorry, I am not used to using bool in C :-) I will change this if bool
is preferred in kernel code.

Well, why not use them since we have them (C99 standard and over a year in the kernel). ;) What is "preferred" in a group of a few thousands, is hard to say, but I believe it is the way to go. The only "resistance" to it I know, is "it is not a C idiom". A quite illogical statement, at best. However, the 0/1 vs false/true is just a preference. (I like false/true, since I also say "true AND false = false" for example... (NOT true = false, makes sense to me, NOT 1 = 0 seem strange, why can't it be 2, or -1 ;) ))
+static unsigned int
+opcode_get_size(const uint8_t *opcode)
Are we not using 'u8' in the kernel?

Actually, I don't see any reason to use u8 when uint8_t is already
standard and used in other places in the kernel.
I believe I have heard they can be a problem in some situations. It also have the benefit of uniforming the kernel-code.

cu
Richard Knutsson