Re: [patch 05/14] percpu: Use a Kconfig variable to configure arch specific percpu setup

Rusty Russell wrote:
> On Thursday 29 November 2007 05:51:29 Christoph Lameter wrote:

>>> Unfortunately, we tried to get rid of the x86-64 pda (like i386) but you
>>> lose the ability to use the stack protection config option.  That's
>>> because it assumes that gs:0x68 (or something) is the stack canary; we
>>> need a YA gcc change to make this gs:__builtin_stack_canary_off (where
>>> gcc can emit __builtin_stack_canary_off as a weak absolute symbol, so we
>>> can override it for the kernel.
>>>
>> This works if you rebase the per cpu area at zero. gs:0x68 is still the
>> stack canary.
>>
>> The i386 method does not work because the segment register does not
>> directly point to the pda.
>>

> But the PDA itself is silly (Jeremy ported it to i386 and I balked).  We have
> a generic one: it's called the per-cpu data.  Having a completely separate
> per-cpu structure for x86-64 is a mistake.

Yes, I would like to convert x86_64 to match i386's percpu, and drop the
pda altogether.  The only thing preventing this is the stack canary, and
I'm wondering how much value there is in keeping it, given the
disadvantages of having this divergence between 32 and 64 bit.